Presenting Bisi Bele Quinoa!!!
Bisi Bele Bhat is itself a very healthy & nutritious meal from state of Karnataka but what if it gets more healthy makeover, of course my way ;) using protein packed grain quinoa.
Ingredients List A
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup mix of moong dal & masoor dal
- 3 cups chopped vegetables (I used onion / tomato / eggplant / okra / carrot / cauliflower / broccoli / beet)
- 2 tbsp certified butter or ghee
- whole garam masala (2 bay leaves / 3 black pepper / 2 cloves / 2 green cardamom)
- 7-8 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- hot water 6 cups
Ingredients List B (can be made ahead of time & stored)
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp udad dal
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- 3-4 dry red chili
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
Ingredients list C
- 3 tbsp certified butter or ghee
- 3 dry red chili
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp mustered seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder (optional as per your preference)
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 cup spring mix or baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste (i used ready made concentrate)
- 1 tbsp gur or jaggery
- finally chopped cilantro to garnish
Step one with ingredients list A
in pressure cooker heat ghee and tamper with whole garam masala, curry leaves, salt & turmeric powder. add vegetable & saute for 4-5 min. Add washed lentil/ dal & quinoa, mix well. Add hot give it a nice mix, civet cooker with its lid & let it cook. After one whistle reduce heat to low & let it cook for 15 min.
it would be cooked & look like this
Mean while when dal & quinoa is cooking keep the dry masala ready for List B. Dry rost everything together on low flame & grind it together. Make sure to add sesame seeds at the end & it gets roast very fast.
Make tadka ready with ingredients of list C
Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds & muster seeds onec splattered add curry leaves, hing & whole ready chili, turmeric, ginger garlic paste. Add green peas, spring leaves, coriander powder, tamarind paste, gur. Mix well & add 1 cup of water. bring it to boil & add this tadka to cooker.
mix in tadka & now add curry powder which we made from list B. Mix well let it cook for 2-3 min. Our Bisi Bela Quinoa is ready to serve.
serve it hot with ghee, papad & yogurt or achar.
- if you want you can make the base khichadi & store it in refrigerator and just add fresh tadka to it when needed. Or just cook it in morning before leaving for work come back add fresh tadka to it you are all set. great option for working busy families.